The East Thompson Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. was formed at the Thompson Speedway Clubhouse after many meetings of interested residents and was chartered with the state of Connecticut in September of 1958 by Mr Donald Hoenig, Mr Elmer White and Mr Clayton Lapire.
Mr White was the department's first fire chief, overseeing a company of 40 men manning an American LaFrance fire truck that was housed in a private garage owned by the late Seth Ross. This was located about a half mile north of the present fire station on East Thompson Road.
In 1959 a second fire truck was purchased and a two stall fire station was built through the hard work and efforts of the members and the support of local residents at dinners held at the Thompson Speedway Clubhouse.
The present five truck stall fire station and its additions, designed by Robert Langer and built on land donated by Mr Walter Eddy Jr., contains a kitchen, offices, generator room, the rest/shower area, and houses five emergency response vehicles. It has been through the efforts of many hardworking members, a ladies auxillary and residents of East Thompson that the Fire Department has grown to its present status providing high quality emergency fire/medical services to an ever growing community in East Thompson, Connecticut.